The Son Shine Lighthouse facility is located out in New London, Texas and was originally built in the 1930’s and served as a church during a time that the oil business was booming and New London was considered one of the wealthiest towns in Texas. It was later converted into a nursing home which was expanded to its current size of approximately 18,000 square feet. In 2007, the nursing home was closed and the building sat empty until Pastor Freeman Pierce was deeded the property by the previous owner. The old and dilapidated nursing home was obtained by First Baptist Church in Danville in 2008. The previous owner of the Sunshine Nursing Home gave the facility and the surrounding property to the church to be a women’s shelter. Because of its central location between Tyler, Longview, Kilgore and Henderson this facility was an ideal place for a women’s transitional home.
Danville Baptist operated it as the Samaritan House for about a year with volunteers and realized that it was a much bigger project than they were equipped to handle. So in 2010 they re-assessed the project. That’s when a Board of Directors from within our community was developed. The property was deeded to the new board. In September 2011 they obtained the 501c3 status as Son Shine Light House Ministries. The board enlisted help from various churches and individuals and the entire facility was remodeled. The board worked diligently preparing the facility over a period of three years. We did not accept any State or Federal funding, but relied solely on private donations from individuals, churches businesses and foundations.We made the decision to trust our Lord’s provision and not accept funding that comes with “secular strings” and our mission is to follow hard after God and His plan and purpose for the Lighthouse Ministry.
SSLM opened its doors at the end of April 2013 to the first resident. This ministry has served over 100 women and their children in the first five years.