The mission of Son Shine Lighthouse Ministries is to provide a safe, spiritually-enriched transitional home where women and their children are offered a new beginning through a life-changing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
The Son Shine Lighthouse facility is located out in New London, Texas and was originally built in the 1930’s and served as a church during a time that the oil business was booming and New London was considered one of the wealthiest towns in Texas. It was later converted into a nursing home which was expanded to its current size of approximately 18,000 square feet. In 2007, the nursing home was closed and the building sat empty until Pastor Freeman Pierce was deeded the property by the previous owner. The old and dilapidated nursing home was obtained by First Baptist Church in Danville in 2008. The previous owner of the Sunshine Nursing Home gave the facility and the surrounding property to the church to be a women’s shelter. Because of its central location between Tyler, Longview, Kilgore and Henderson this facility was an ideal place for a women’s transitional home.
Danville Baptist operated it as the Samaritan House for about a year with volunteers and realized that it was a much bigger project than they were equipped to handle. So in 2010 they re-assessed the project. That’s when a Board of Directors from within our community was developed. The property was deeded to the new board. In September 2011 they obtained the 501c3 status as Son Shine Light House Ministries. The board enlisted help from various churches and individuals and the entire facility was remodeled. The board worked diligently preparing the facility over a period of three years. We did not accept any State or Federal funding, but relied solely on private donations from individuals, churches businesses and foundations.We made the decision to trust our Lord’s provision and not accept funding that comes with “secular strings” and our mission is to follow hard after God and His plan and purpose for the Lighthouse Ministry.
SSLM opened its doors at the end of April 2013 to the first resident. This ministry has served over 100 women and their children in the first five years.
Valerie and her husband, David Cooper, live in Tyler, TX. They have been married in their blended family for over 20 years and it has been a joy to them to watch their 7 children grow up to be wonderful adults. Their family is comprised of “His, Hers & Ours”. And, these days, God has blessed them with sons-in-law and cherished grandchildren, too.
Valerie believes Isaiah 61 is the calling God has upon her life and she has spent many years ministering to women who have needed an advocate to lead them out of darkness and pain into the healing and glorious light of Jesus Christ. She knows that God is the one who binds up the brokenhearted, gives beauty for ashes, a garment of praise for a spirit of heaviness, covers with the robe of righteousness and THE ONE who sets captives free.
Jeremiah 33:3 has been a favorite lifetime verse for her: “Call to me and I will answer you and teach you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” Inside this verse, she shares that there is an invitation, a promise, an encounter, and a miracle. It is the same with the Gospel. God gives us all an invitation, Jesus is the promise, His presence is the encounter, eternal life-change is the miracle.
Whether a resident of this house or a friend in the community, Valerie is available for a dose of love and grace for anyone who needs encouragement or prayer.
- First Baptist Church Kilgore
- First United Methodist Church Overton
- Green Acres Baptist Church Tyler
- Pine Brook Baptist Church Tyler
- Grace Fellowship of Kilgore
- Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church
- Adult VIII Sunday School Class
- First Baptist Church Danville
- Men of Henderson, Praying
- St. Matthews Episcopal Church Henderson
- London Baptist Church
- Good Hope Free Will Baptist Church
- Daughters of Zion Ministry
- First Baptist Church Henderson
- Trinity Baptist Church Carthage
- Calvary Baptist Church Henderson
- Rose Heights Church of God Tyler
- New Hope Baptist Church Ore City
- Lake Tyler Baptist Church
- Blossom Hill Methodist Church Henderson
- Sarah’s Sunday School Class FBC
- Adult 7 Men’s Sunday School Class FBC
- Marvin United Methodist Church Tyler
- First Baptist Church Liberty City
- Bar None Cowboy Church Tatum
- First United Methodist Church Henderson
- Pine Forest Baptist Church Hallsville
- New London United Methodist Church